Saturday, October 14, 2006

autumn leaves: FSOJ week 1



These are my first entry for the new Four Seasons of Jewelry, made in mid-September.

Actually, I made them for a Yahoo woven-bead earring swap. All my others for that are peyote or brick stitch, which is more according to the spirit of the stated woven-bead theme of the swap. But when I started to work with these little 15/0 iris seeds, none of my needles would go through. Having a roll of 28-gauge and also 18-gauge copper wire on the desk, I just threaded them on and did what came naturally. Well, on CWJ we call that weaving with wire, don't we? so they ARE woven earrings. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm going to do some more in silver with equally tiny hematite-colored beads. I learned on these that I need to be more careful to make all the veins on each side of the midrib parallel, if possible, especially at the tip. I also think a bit of gentle hammering on the frame before I weave the beads on wouldn't hurt. But I have been really admiring them as they lie on the desk, so I think they're worth repeating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home