Sunday, January 13, 2013

pink! maille necklace finished, more halvah

Well, it has taken 5 days, but it is done! 16-1/2" of really pink chain. The pale pink shiny rings are The Ring Lord's new-process anodized aluminum, very nice.
Eventually I realized that the reason the darker, more matte rings were so difficult to work with is that they are the "enamelled" copper. The colored plastic coating is much more delicate than the anodized layer, and I had to throw out a BUNCH of rings, because one slip in the pliers and there was a tattered shiny spot. Do NOT like. Even though they come in a whole lot of luscious colors, working with them is not worth it.

The lobster-claw clasp is one of the powder-coat ones sold by TRL; it only sort of matches, but I think it's OK. It looks closer in real life than in the photo. I will get more in several colors. At 40¢ they may be cheaper than I can make a hook.

Also tonight I tried another batch of halvah, in hopes of taking it to CCHBA Monday night. I got the honey up to about 258°, maybe just to 260° as I turned off the fire. It got noticeably thicker. When it first got hot and foamy, it was very thin and watery as I stirred it, but at about 250° or so it started to feel thicker. Very dark. It got stiff  very quickly as I stirred the combined honey and tahini; I had to "pour" it up when still pretty hot. If it doesn't develop crystals and get fudgy, it is going to be the pull-your-fillings-out kind of candy.

Completely off-topic -- there is a wonderful new word out there - "teabonics" -- the non-standard dialect of English spoken by the Tea Party. See the comments to Juanita Jean's post.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Erika Cilengir said...

Dear Abigail,

If I were to take a guess, I would say you are Isabel and Tom Miller's daughter. Am I correct? I am Erika Nomland Cilengir, Ella and Kemper Nomland's daughter and, as I recall, we share the same undergraduate college, namely, Pomona College. I would love to reconnect.

Best Regards,
Erika

January 13, 2013 1:11 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Wow! You're right, that's who I am. I'm not sure I knew you went to Pomona - probably I did, the info seems sort of familiar. I hope to get to Pomona this May for my 40th reunion. You can reach me at abigailmountmiller@gmail.com. I'm so glad you saw the blog.

January 14, 2013 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home